I’ve sold quite a few J-Pole antennas for marine band operation. They are an excellent choice as the J-Pole is a half wave antenna that has a donut shaped radiation pattern. Most of the RF energy is concentrated at and slightly above the horizon. This makes it a great choice for marine applications where you need excellent coverage at the horizon. If you are planning to use this antenna near a salt water environment, I recommend painting the antenna with either clear lacquer or non-metallic spray enamel paint.
The antenna also works great for search and rescue teams and volunteer firefighters that have a base radio tuned to the upper end of the public safety band.
- Rugged construction for years of reliable service
- Low noise floor picks up weak signals better than comparable wire or plastic enclosed antennas
- Wide bandwidth, (4+ MHz across the 2 meter band). No need to retune
- Omnidirectional RF radiation pattern is balanced for communicating with stations at or slightly above the horizon line.
- Pretuned and ready to go for the 155-159 MHz Marine, VHF Scanner, and Public Safety radio bands
This antenna is tuned for the 155-159 Mhz VHF Band. It covers the marine band, VHF public safety and land-mobile radio frequencies on the upper end of the 150 MHz allocation.
Constructed out of 1/2 inch copper tubing
- Overall length 65 inches
- radiator 56 inches
- matching stub 18 inches
- SO-239 connector is soldered on at the point of lowest SWR
- Omnidirectional radiation pattern
- Gain is about 2.5db over a 1/4 wave ground plane
Overall length of the antenna is 64 inches with an 11 inch mounting stub. SO-239 connector is soldered on at the point of lowest SWR.
I tested [your J-Pole marine antenna] against the Shakespeare with both of the marine VHF radios I have here at home.
Radio 1 is an Icom IC-M502
Radio 2 is a Standard Horizon Eclipse
Without a doubt, your J-pole has an improved receive over the Shakespeare on both radios. That’s the feature I was hoping for. And I do believe it to be a little quieter as well.
Thank you for a great product. I will happily recommend your J-pole to my fishing friends.
Bob, Atlantic City, NJ